Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

AK Guru's help needed - LCT AKMSU modded front end

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old March 19th, 2015, 13:30   #16
HackD

.. and, end result of coming out of the machine shop for modifying of the suppressor base, was this:

Mission accomplished.

Last edited by HackD; March 19th, 2015 at 19:37..
HackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 15:58   #17
brock0

Looks amazing! Very nice
brock0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 18:02   #18
MADDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackD View Post
.. and, end result of coming out of the machine shop for modifying of the suppressor base, was this:

Mission accomplished.

Now you just need to make sure your exit hole on the silencer is big enough. I had to widen mine slightly (drill it out) as the BB's would sometimes catch the side depending on how the silencer was oriented/screwed on the front sight. Love the cheap manufacturing tolerances, quarter turn one way straight, quarter turn the other hit the side of the silencer. Have you test fired yet?

Cry Havoc, Let slip the Dogs of War!

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2015, 19:08   #19
HackD

Not test fired yet.

I have heard that this is an issue. If push comes to shove, i will be using a longer inner barrel, and re-springing to adjust FPS.

The Machinist noted the sloppy tolerance for the sight-block threading on the LCT .. "This was Not 24mm - it was an approximation only". He took the difficult path with boring out and threading the suppressor mount, on a lathe. At the moment, the threading is very precise and tight, but he also warned that the alloy on the suppressor base is very soft. He could offer no guarantee that the threading wouldn't lose definition and get sloppy over time.

As an aside - part of this exercise was in finding a new machinist to take on side-work related to some of my airsoft and non-airsoft related projects - finding one that actually takes pride in his work, and the time to do it in, is a fairly hard thing to do. His handling of the project, passed muster. Although - funny story - his after hours cleaning service found the gun inside the gun bag in his office - his cleaner (his daughter in law) wanted to know what was up with the gun - thereafter, it was known as the "Terrorist Bag".

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Now you just need to make sure your exit hole on the silencer is big enough. I had to widen mine slightly (drill it out) as the BB's would sometimes catch the side depending on how the silencer was oriented/screwed on the front sight. Love the cheap manufacturing tolerances, quarter turn one way straight, quarter turn the other hit the side of the silencer. Have you test fired yet?

Last edited by HackD; March 19th, 2015 at 20:06..
Old March 19th, 2015, 20:20   #20
MADDOG

Quote:
Not test fired yet.

I have heard that this is an issue. If push comes to shove, i will be using a longer inner barrel, and re-springing to adjust FPS.

The Machinist noted the sloppy tolerance for the sight-block threading on the LCT .. "This was Not 24mm - it was an approximation only". He took the difficult path with boring out and threading the suppressor mount, on a lathe. At the moment, the threading is very precise and tight, but he also warned that the alloy on the suppressor base is very soft. He could offer no guarantee that the threading wouldn't lose definition and get sloppy over time.

As an aside - part of this exercise was in finding a new machinist to take on side-work related to some of my airsoft and non-airsoft related projects - finding one that actually takes pride in his work, and the time to do it in, is a fairly hard thing to do. His handling of the project, passed muster. Although - funny story - his after hours cleaning service found the gun inside the gun bag in his office - his cleaner (his daughter in law) wanted to know what was up with the gun - thereafter, it was known as the "Terrorist Bag".
If you go to a longer barrel you need to be careful of a few things:

1) Barrel vibration and stability past the front sight, I tired this and the accuracy was crap due to the fact nothing was supporting the barrel for 8-10 inches. This can cause even more BB's to hit the front of the silencer unless the barrel end is actually held in place and stabilized in the end of the silencer (tough to d0, not impossible). I had a barrel that was sticking slightly out past the end of the silencer and you could hear it vibrate in the end of the silencer.

2) You need to change the cylinder as well for the porting to match the new length of barrel for proper air pressure. Your current cylinder is for the short AKSU barrel, which I have found to be highly accurate and have not messed with it

Just an FYI

Cry Havoc, Let slip the Dogs of War!

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Last edited by MADDOG; March 19th, 2015 at 20:38..
MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2015, 01:06   #21
HackD

Thanks for the tips.. if a longer inner barrel is inadvisable, without requisite gearbox work (I'm of the school that believes if it ain't broke yet, don't #@#! with it) then an alternative solution might be going to metal supermarket and getting a section of oversize brass tubing to fix in place inside the suppressor.

Firing up the bench drill and fabbing up a suppressor base inner spacer to sleeve the oversize brass tubing over the stock inner barrel, drill out the nose of the suppressor to the OD of the tubing, and interference fit in place, flush through the nose of the suppressor. In essence, creating a larger diameter "outer/inner" barrel that shouldn't affect the piston's volumetric pressure characteristics, near as badly as an extended length 6.03 inner barrel. BB's might bounce, but they won't be shattering against the interior of the suppressor nose, or otherwise becoming wild flyers.

I've yet to pull a battery out and charge it up for a test, but if the hop-up setting doesn't eliminate this issue, it might be worthy of a Saturday afternoon garage project experiment/solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
If you go to a longer barrel you need to be careful of a few things:

1) Barrel vibration and stability past the front sight, I tired this and the accuracy was crap due to the fact nothing was supporting the barrel for 8-10 inches. This can cause even more BB's to hit the front of the silencer unless the barrel end is actually held in place and stabilized in the end of the silencer (tough to d0, not impossible). I had a barrel that was sticking slightly out past the end of the silencer and you could hear it vibrate in the end of the silencer.

2) You need to change the cylinder as well for the porting to match the new length of barrel for proper air pressure. Your current cylinder is for the short AKSU barrel, which I have found to be highly accurate and have not messed with it

Just an FYI
Old April 14th, 2015, 17:18   #22
HackD

It took me a little while to get back to it.. but the sleeved over barrel idea worked fabulously. 1/2" OD stainless tubing, with the end cap of the suppressor countersunk to accept the end of the OD stainless tubing in a friction fit .. still has same nominal bore outlet as the stock suppressor does, looking end-on. The outer sleeve is kept centered by the suppressor 'packing foam' in the suppressor body, and slips loosely over the stock brass inner barrel that protrudes from the gas-block/sight assembly.

It's following the same principle of construction, of a 'suppressor' tracer unit, that i had on hand.

Quote:
Thanks for the tips.. if a longer inner barrel is inadvisable, without requisite gearbox work (I'm of the school that believes if it ain't broke yet, don't #@#! with it) then an alternative solution might be going to metal supermarket and getting a section of oversize brass tubing to fix in place inside the suppressor.

Firing up the bench drill and fabbing up a suppressor base inner spacer to sleeve the oversize brass tubing over the stock inner barrel, drill out the nose of the suppressor to the OD of the tubing, and interference fit in place, flush through the nose of the suppressor. In essence, creating a larger diameter "outer/inner" barrel that shouldn't affect the piston's volumetric pressure characteristics, near as badly as an extended length 6.03 inner barrel. BB's might bounce, but they won't be shattering against the interior of the suppressor nose, or otherwise becoming wild flyers.

I've yet to pull a battery out and charge it up for a test, but if the hop-up setting doesn't eliminate this issue, it might be worthy of a Saturday afternoon garage project experiment/solution.

Last edited by HackD; April 14th, 2015 at 17:20..
Old January 16th, 2018, 01:57   #23
Piper Jacob

Can you PLEASE help me with my AKMSU

Hey,
So I'm pretty new to Airsoft, and I recently upgraded from my combat machine to an LCT AKMSU NV. A problem I'm having with it is that it's insanely innacurate. Less accurate than the cm16 for sure. I don't think it's the barrel because I took the flash hider off and the barrel had no apparent wobble. Does anyone else have this problem? Could someone with experience please tell me what is wrong with my gun or is this just how it comes.
Piper Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 10:20   #24
Styrak

Send a message via MSN to Styrak
Try cleaning the hopup rubber and barrel?

Airsoft Sales and Repair/Upgrade Services
Styrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2018, 11:27   #25
Desmodus
Mexifaggot

This ^

Give them a once over and make sure everything is nice and clean. What kind of issues are you having specifically?

Primaries: LCT AK74MN w/SKTBR, VFC M4 SOPMOD Block 2
Secondary: Latino heat, TM Glock 17
Desmodus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications